Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Magnificant Great Ocean Road

Great Ocean Road is magnificent, gorgeous, beautiful, stunning, lovely… It is indeed (borrowing my friend’s friend description) “nature at its best”. The road itself meanders around the edge of cliffs which faces the Southern Ocean. So, when you travel along the road, you see the cliff walls on one side and the ocean just extends out to nowhere on the other side. Along the way, you can stop by the seaside towns, admire the rolling hills, go for walks in the rainforests and bushes, gawk at the numerous amazing limestone formations, play on the beaches and even take a helicopter ride to get a bird-eye view of the 12 Apostles. It is during this trip that I took my first helicopter ride, climbed my first mountain (the really crawl on all fours kind of climb). The views were just breath-taking. The 3 days-2 nites that I spent on the Great Ocean Road was simply too short. I would love to revisit the place again and for anyone who needs a break, visit Great Ocean Road and be revitalized by the natural, millions of years old yet ever-changing beauty of the place.



The gorgeous ocean that just goes on and on...

Sunset at the 12 Apostles. Enchanting and yet calming.

View of the 12 Apostles from the helicopter


More pictures can be viewed at my online album: http://weimei.shutterfly.com/action/

Some thoughts that I had while I was along the Great Ocean Road:

1. How the Great Ocean Rd was created is mind-boggling. Imagine cutting into the hard limestone cliffs and crafting a 300 km road which hugs the cliffs using simple tools and equipment. I really take my hats off to the people who made this road which made it possible for thousands of people to see and be dazzled by the beauty of the place.

2. Impermance. The stone formations along the ocean are formed over millions of years and they are ever-changing, constantly eroding and forming. That’s nature and this phenomenon hasn’t changed since the beginning of time. Yet, it is precisely due to this constant impermanence (am I making sense??) that makes all the formations so beautiful. Isn’t it the same for life? Due to our attachment to things, we always want things to remain constant. When they don’t we become unhappy. If we can accept the impermanent nature of everything, maybe we’ll find life much happier and beautiful. Haiz… impermanence, impermanence, impermanence…. Need to drum it into my thick skull.

3. Australia is really a very beautiful country with all kinds of natural sights ranging from deserts to mountains to rainforests to temperate forests to volcanoes to oceans and all kinds of rock formations. I’m really fortunate to be given the chance to live here for a year and explore and experience all these beauty that Singapore doesn’t have. Deepest gratitude to all the factors that make it possible for me to be here.

I traveled across 3 states of Australia on this trip. From Sydney in New South Wales to Melbourne in Victoria and then to Adelaide in South Australia. Quite cool rite? That leaves me with only 2 states that I haven’t visit: the Northern territory and Tasmania. Hmm… hope to cover the Northern Territory before I go back to Singapore in July.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home