Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sydney Royal Easter Show

Went to the Easter show at the Olympic Park. It’s actually a very large scale carnival that spans over the whole Olympic Park. So you can imagine how huge an area it spreads across. (No wonder my aikido class at the Olympic Park has to be stopped for this period of time. There is simply no space for it!)

Things at the show:
1. Lots of shops selling all sorts of things, from toys to sunglasses, to ornaments, to accessories, to services such as fortune telling and tattooing.
2. Animals display (pigs, dogs, rabbits etc) and shows [Unfortunately, I missed this whole animals section]
3. Arts gallery & handicrafts display, including best cake decorations etc
4. Adventure rides. Lots n lots of them to cater to any level of fear factor that you wish to experience.
5. Countless game stalls, most with very attractive soft toys to be won.
6. Multiple food stalls
7. A make-shift fresh-food supermarket
8. Hundreds of different showbags for sale. Things in the showbags vary from food to toys to magazines and accessories to magic tricks.
9. Shows. e.g:
- Rodeo show (which I didn’t enjoy as I found it very cruel to the horses, bulls and riders)
- Beauty pageant (which I can’t really see. The girls are the size of peanuts from the place I was sitting)
- Motorvehicles show (motorbikers and cars ‘storm-riders’ performing jaw-dropping and gravity-defying stunts)
- A enchanting fireworks display (It’s weird that no matter how old I get and how many times I watched fireworks, I never fail to be fascinated by their beauty.)

Overall, I enjoyed going to the show, for several reasons. First, it was my 1st time going to such a huge scale carnival and a long time since I took part in a carnival, so it was a new experience as well as a pleasant refresher experience. Brought back some of my happy childhood memories, especially when we were eating candy-floss. Second, as the carnival was over a couple of weeks and because of the large space it occupies, it’s not crowded. Therefore, the problem of squeezing and pushing and feeling irritated at the end of the day was non-existent. Third, the weather was cool, very conducive for walking. Fourth, I was with a great company of friends.

Here are some pictures taken at the show:

With one of the many showbags stall behind us

i love the colours of the fireworks

Aren't fireworks just beautiful?

Little gals with a huge bucket of candy-floss

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i find rodeos cruel too...

animal shows too. cuz the animals are usually under stress.

but that's beside the point.

that you enjoyed yourself... hehehe...

Zhen

3:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home