Saturday, March 18, 2006

New neighbour = yummy lunch. :p

I just had a very filling and delicious lunch. It was the best home-cooked food I ever had since I came to Australia. All thanks to my new neighbour in the place I’m staying in Wagga, David. He just came over yesterday and seeing the unappetizing frozen microwavable dinner that Jeannie and I were having, decided that he’ll cook a proper and good meal for both of us. At first we thought he was just kidding until he came back from the supermarket with lots of food this morning. The preparation and cooking took up almost 3 hours. (I think this may be the longest time I took to prepare any of my meals.) But the end result was more than worth the whole morning of chopping and washing. For the first course, we had soup with shredded chicken, corn, potato, carrots, peas and some spices. The main course consisted of margarine and bacon fried rice with a piece of excellently seasoned chicken covered with a very tasty fresh mushrooms and onion sauce. It was first-rate food, absolutely yummy!


My yummy lunch!


A short intro about the chef. David just came to Wagga from the Philippines. He came as under the skilled professionals’ migration scheme and is in the marketing line. His family runs a catering business in Philippines (that should explain his flair for cooking). He’s a genius in the kitchen and Jeannie and I were impressed by his ability to mix and match the ingredients and spices to whip up a mouth-watering, well-balanced and healthy meal. (David is a health buff, he calculates the amount of fats in the food we ate for us and even recommended us to healthier choices like corn chips dipped in salsa sauce rather than potato chips.) The workings of the world (karma) are just amazing and I’m so glad and grateful to have David who out of the blue, pops out with a few tasty dishes to brighten up the stay at Wagga.



Ok… a bit about my life at Wagga. The weather at Wagga this week is a bit weird. At the beginning of the week, it was cloudy and warm. Then it started raining the whole of Thursday night and from then on, the weather is v cool. On Friday morning, it was cold! I think temperatures dropped to about 12-14 degrees overnight. My attachments are ok, pleasant because of the nice hospital environment and friendly staff but not particularly interesting or exciting. Life here is very quiet with no activities at night. Not many places to visit during the weekends too. In a way, I do enjoy staying here for a short period of time as life here is slow and simple. It has a rather calming effect on the soul. But having stayed in a city most of my life, I think I still prefer my busy life in Singapore. At least for now. But who knows, I may end up choosing a quieter lifestyle when I grow older and get tired of the city.

1 Comments:

Blogger SAbz said...

the food looks gd!! ask him to recommend or cook vegetarian recipes then u can come back and teach us!!

hee hee enjoy yah!

3:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home