Saturday, May 19, 2012

Slowing down my footsteps

Things I realise only after I slowed down my footsteps-

1. Just after the sun sets and just before the sky becomes dark, the colours of the sky are the same as the colours of a rainbow. Starting from nearest the ground to rising into the sky, in the exact order: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet. I think it has always been like that, just that I never had time to look at the sky carefully.

2. People are generally nice and many people make a sincere effort to help others. For example, the counter guy at the airport who put my backpack carefully in a tray and assured me that it'll be well-taken care of and it'll reach my destination safely. And the lady at my guesthouse who went beyond her call of duty and helped me make a phone call to book the guesthouse in my next destination and even wrote down some instructions in Thai for me so that I can use it to ask the locals for directions. And the locals who waved and smiled at me cheerfully as I walked by. And so many more, their little acts of kindness made my days bright and I'm truly grateful to them. All these may have happened everyday of my life, but I may have been too busy rushing off somewhere else to think of them.

3. Beautiful wild flowers (often nice-smelling as well) grow along the roads everywhere, even in the dusty corners. I have never taken time to really appreciate them. What a waste, I must have missed so many beautiful sights.

4. It is actually difficult to just do nothing, even though it is what I set out to do. The monkey mind just refuses to be quiet and jumps around to try to get attention all the time. I realized that peace really starts from the mind. Even in a very conducive, quiet and serene environment, if the mind cannot be tamed, peace is unattainable. Now, I have to learn to control and calm down my mind.

Experiencing life slowly, mindfully is really a new and interesting journey. Do try it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home